Tuesday, September 01, 2026

Surprised Moment in my Time"


The Ministry of Manpower
Republic of Indonesia
(Foto Editorial.id)

In 1993, when I was a junior reporter, the chief editor assigned me to cover a news story on safety and health in the workplace. It was called "Kesehatan dan Keselamatan di lingkungan Kerja (K3)."

It was promoted intensively for the first time since the government of the Republic of Indonesia developed the country with massive infrastructure, such as buildings, main roads, bridges, etc. Then I went to the ground to cover it. I saw and watched how people were working, erecting a big building in Jakarta.

I noted everything in my notebook. I found some misuse in working, such as how the workers used the safety ropes improperly and how they used helmets, boots, and the clothes they wore. I found that some of them were below the standard of safety at work.

Then I prepared myself to meet the minister in charge. I tried to conduct an interview during his super

Abdul Latief, Former Minister
of the Ministry of Manpower,
Republic of Indonesia
busy time. The secretary said, "The minister is very busy. You have to make an appointment to meet him. "Hm... sounded like a rejection. Okay, but I needed it now to clarify the facts.

The door was closed! No interview without an appointment! So, I lay myself down on the sofa at that big office for a few moments.

But suddenly, I saw a minister with a few assistants coming out! And I ran fast forward the minutes before he got in the car.

Without any hesitation, I shot the minister with a question. He ignored me. So, I shot him with a sharper question to get his attention, and it worked well. He started staring at me sharply. Then I approached and got close with my mini recorder and started asking him about his policies, the regulations he knew, and... started confronting him with the facts I had seen on the ground.

He looked a bit angry. But I didn't care. Instead, I bombarded him with more and more facts! The minister raised his temper. He hit the roof with the questions. And this was the golden moment for the photographers behind me. They were really happy about the great moment I had created.

To make a long story short, once the 'accident interview' was over, I returned to the newsroom at noon. And I started writing the story. After sending it to the editor, I went home as usual. Nothing special I felt at the moment. But then, about a week later, the director's secretary told me that they had just received a phone call from the secretary of the Ministry of Manpower of the Republic of Indonesia.

Indonesia Journalist Association
logo PWI

They asked me to attend and be present at their special event at 9am in their office. Yes, it was the ceremony! And they gave me the prize and certificate of appreciation with a thick cash envelope! 😄 An announcer called me to step on stage, as the first winner of 'The Best News Writer of the Year 1993.' This competition was held by the Ministry of Manpower of the Republic of Indonesia in collaboration with the Indonesian Journalist Association.

Oh my God, I couldn't believe it. Why me? They chanted my name and the agency I worked for twice. Instead, I glanced to my left and right many times. I found myself confused. Me? The big prize? And for what? 

So, I took steps on the stage with shaking legs. It was really, really surprising and unpredictable! I didn't even know that at the time I was covering the news, they were conducting such a writing competition. It was the biggest deal I had ever made, since I always criticized what the government did!

But thanks to God. It's something that I never predicted. If I had known there was a competition being held, I would have made my writing better.

No comments: